Monday, November 15, 2010

[One Restaurant] The bad lover's saving grace: Truffle Fries

If you've ever had a relationship you knew you shouldn't be in but nonetheless went along anyway, you might come to the inevitable realisation that in a pairing that's 90% bad, there is 10% that keeps you going back. Perhaps this isn't the most flattering of reviews, but it is where the blog takes its name after so it's quite special for me.


One Restaurant at Toronto's only 5-Star Hazleton Hotel downtown is another one of Mark Mcewan's praised culinary establishments. Yet among the likes of Bymark and North44, it sits like a little thorny rosebush - beautiful and elegant with prickly reminders that glamour is more important than trimming away poor quality control or occasional neglectful dinner service.


I find myself in an odd relationship, as One still remains among my favourite restaurants to visit despite its shortcomings. There are the lobster spoons or the familiar striploin that don't seem to ever go wrong. And then there are the truffle frites, to which no other restaurant has ever come close. You can overcook my steak, forget to decant my wine, drop a bread roll on my lap, but what's that you say? Truffle fries... My heart skips a beat every time I taste them! Break up? No, never. I love you.

[ONE Restaurant - 116 Yorkville Ave, Toronto, ON, M5R 1C2]
(This last picture is in Yorkville but isn't One restaurant or the Hazleton Hotel, I just thought it was pretty!)

No comments:

Post a Comment